When we first moved in, I went on a painting frenzy throughout the main floor of the house. We choose a dark grey for the master bedroom – a striking colour. Both Dan and I loved it. However, after several months of searching and searching for the right curtain, accent pillow and headboard fabrics for that room, I started to love the charcoal grey less and less. Because it was such a dark colour, it was really difficult to match, unless you used white (which we have enough of already with all the white furniture). I found a few fabrics online that I thought would work nicely, but they were super expensive designer fabrics. Nothing was coming up in our “sale bin” budget. So, after spotting some curtains in IKEA that were a great price, I decided it was actually cheaper to re-paint than to leave the charcoal colour and buy the expensive fabric.
With paintbrush back in hand and paint clothes pulled out of the bottom drawer, I was ready to get down to painting (unfortunately this was a solo venture since Dan was away for work in sunny San Diego!). I chose what I thought was a perfect grey from Benjamin Moore, but once I had the first coat up on the walls, it looked more purple than anything. Ick. I went back to the store for a second can and this time went for a more green-grey (called coventry grey, HC169). Luckily a few strokes in with this new colour and I knew it was just right. One coat and it was done – the perfect light grey tone I was hoping for.
Stay tuned to see how the bedroom mini-reno turns out!