As you gathered from this post, it was recently my birthday. My 27th birthday, if you wanted to know. As a lot of people do on their birthdays, I started to think about some of the things I would like to accomplish. I think about my 1, 5, and 10 year “plans” pretty regularly. Of course various life events can easily throw those off, but I always figured it’s good to be working towards something. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to put pen to paper and write down a “30 before 30” list. Sort of like a bucket list for the next 3 years. Although some of these are big ticket items (like #7 and #1), most are just things I have wanted to try or that might be fun. I figure if I write them down and put them out into the universe then I am going to be more likely to pull them off.
You’ll notice that I haven’t listed house/DIY stuff here, like “Renovate the kitchen”. Let’s be honest, the “to do” list for our pad would take up all 30 spots and then some… I did write that list down too though, so look out for it on the blog sometime soon.
Here it is. My 30 before 30, in no particular order.
- Have a part-time business that provides a reasonable stream of part-time pay (etsy shop, blog, design work, etc).
Go on an outside-of-Canada girls trip with my best gal pals.(done! went to Nicaragua in July 2012)
- Be part of a community design project in Ottawa (like an Ottawa version of Toronto’s bloggers give back).
- Learn to sew. Goal: complete one project (hello, new pillow cases).
- Throw a surprise party for someone.
- Do a personal yoga challenge – a class a day for 30 days.
- Have a baby!
- Cook through a cookbook.
- Go to a comedy festival.
- Add at least 3 projects to my design portfolio (official, paid, non-family/friend projects!).
- See the Grand Canyon.
- Go on a spa weekend.
- Sit on a Board of Directors for a not-for-profit organization.
- Take a pottery or painting class.
- Learn to make yoghurt (maybe I just need to buy a yoghurt maker?).
- Make a quilt or “granny square” crocheted blanket.
- Host a theme party.
- Be debt free (not mortgage debt, but international Master’s Degree debt…).
- Visit a Canadian Province/Territory that I haven’t been to (not yet visited: Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island).
- Give blood.
- Travel outside North America at least 3 times. (#1: Nicaragua,)
- Participate in the Ottawa Urban Craft Fair (and hopefully other craft fairs in the city).
- Do a video blog post.
- Re-read my notes from my 2008 photography class and take on a photo project.
- Go on a classic Canadian (or American) roadtrip.
- Walk on the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Improve my Spanish so that I can actually carry on a conversation. Si?
- Eat no processed foods for a month.
- Spend an entire morning in bed relaxing, reading and drinking tea.
- Make a list of the things I want to accomplish in my 30′s.
So, I have 1086 days to get these done. Or 26,064 hours. Or 1,563,840 minutes. However you want to think about it. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes. Wish me luck!
Tags: 30 before 30