DIY stair runner

Remember back when I gave a little makeover to our side entryway? We painted the walls and door, added a thrifted light fixture, and some artwork. It made it way more attractive — which is especially nice for our tenant who uses that entry all the time (we only use that area when we are going down to the basement to do laundry). Here it is to help jog your memory. Anyway, the one thing that we left was fixing… Read more »

easy easter wreath - via the sweetest digs

So I know we are still a few weeks out from Easter, but I actually got on top of things and did some decorating ahead of time. For once, I am like those organized bloggers who post well in advance, instead of the day-of (or week after!) the holiday. Winning! I’m a big Easter fan.  So many good things – chocolate (!!), spring weather, setting up egg hunts (we do ones with elaborate clues in my household), and pretty pastel… Read more »


You guys, this past weekend Dan and I had our first overnight weekend date since Maya was born, and oh my goodness – it was heaven. Lounging over a lovely meal for a few hours, hitting up the spa, and getting to sleep in (until 8:10am !! haha). It was serious luxury. We went to Perth, which is about an hour west of Ottawa, and is such a sweet little town. Fun little shops to stroll around to, gorgeous old… Read more »

DIY paper mache bowl - the sweetest digs

Before diving into this week’s crafty stuff – I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you guys for the overwhelming support on my post about my breastfeeding experience on Monday. I was completely surprised about the number of comments, facebook messages, and even private emails that I received from other parents out there who could connect in some way with the post. Clearly we need to talk about this stuff more, and throw all of that judgment… Read more »


The other weekend I was going to a friends’ baby shower (well actually, a “welcome to the world” celebration, as the baby has already been born). My girlfriend has a lot of stuff for baby already and didn’t register for anything in particular, so I decided to have a little fun with her gift. Have you ever seen those “cakes” that people make out of diapers? They are totally cheesy, but I thought it might be kind of fun to… Read more »

decorate a plate with a sharpie!

Okay, I know we’re only two days away from Valentine’s Day and all of the other bloggers got their valentine’s day crafts posted about weeks ago… well, too bad. That’s not the case here. Nope. This girl ain’t that organized. So luckily, this should be a craft that anyone can do from the comfort of your home – hopefully no need to go out to the store to get supplies. Here is what you need to have on hand: a… Read more »

easy kids gift idea

You might have noticed a few changes on the blog. After ignoring things for a long while, I have finally started to ‘clean’ it up a little – so I’ll be making some tweaks over the next week or two. Nothing major, just little stuff to make it look better and be more functional. One of the bigger changes has been to switch up the posts to an excerpt view on the homepage. This means that you need to click… Read more »

wallpaper a piece of furniture

Before I get into this post, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for all of your comments from Monday’s post. Seriously… you guys are just the sweetest. Feeling so good about this little blog community! Okay so this is a long overdue project post that I had completely forgotten about. Can I blame pregnancy-turned-baby-brain? My pal Courtney and I had been out garage sale-ing last summer and had a decent haul (mostly smaller stuff, from what I… Read more »

Pic 10

I don’t usually have guest bloggers, but when Brittany (a fellow Ottawa gal) got in touch about her latest project – I couldn’t resist! Brittany is a local photographer – you can check out her photography site/blog here (she even throws in a DIY every now and again, like this nail art – totally adorbs). She is sharing her book crate today, which she made as a baby shower gift. Over to you, B…   Hey there fellow The Sweetest Digs… Read more »

DIY wood slice ornaments - the sweetest digs

Every year I like to make Christmas ornaments. I grew up getting one from my parents’ every Christmas, and I usually did a handmade one or two (or five!) too. I have quite the little collection, as you can imagine. Anyway, I have continued the tradition on in adulthood, and am now super psyched to start giving Maya ornaments and eventually having her make them too. Before I left for Florida, I wanted to whip out some ornaments for this… Read more »